About Radio Verulam:
Radio Verulam is the local, community radio station for St Albans and surrounds, broadcasting 24 hours a day on 92.6FM and online. It is run as a, not for profit company and is predominantly volunteer-led, with around 90 current volunteers providing everything a radio station needs to be on the air, including creating and broadcasting original content which covers various genres of music, speech, arts, current affairs, topical discussion, and news.
Our mission is: To enhance the daily lives of all sections of the community in our area by providing news, information and entertainment.
Our vision is: To become a widely known and listened to local radio station and internet presence, both of which are recognised within and outside the local community as a professional, engaging and useful service and to form a significant part of the fabric of life in the area, embraced by businesses and individuals.
Overview of a producer: To shape the programmes on 92.6FM Radio Verulam in a creative way, resulting in unique, engaging radio
- Responsible for making shows with entertainment and information for our community
- You will be talking to a wide range of listeners, so your content needs to be fun, fresh and appealing
- Programmes could be general daytime ‘magazine’-style music shows, or ‘specialist’ programmes that deal with a particular area of interest – such as sport, parenting, business or the environment
- You will prepare relevant linking material which engages our local audience to insert into our scheduled music log, give local travel and weather updates for presenters in an entertaining and warm way
- Research and prepare material for shows, including arranging guests and interviews
- Come up with interesting ideas for features
- Create a running order for the programme
- Work with presenters at the time of broadcast
- Coordinate, organise and manage your everyday tasks to maintain the smooth running of the programme.
- Create programme reads, trail programmes, audio clip interviews and share through social media – Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Ensure through the delivery of your content, Radio Verulam remains an accessible, inclusive and diverse station representative of the communities the station serves
- Monitor a range of local sources for breaking/developing/upcoming stories
- Check all stories for accuracy and legal compliance
- Work closely with other volunteers – other reporters, producers, presenters and interview coordinators – on programmes
An outstanding natural communicator (written and verbal)
You will be highly organised with an eye for detail and seek to make ongoing improvements in your everyday work including listening back to shows, giving and receiving feedback
Confidence, enthusiasm and the skills to work with presenters (live on air)
Knowledge of Audacity for editing (or relevant audio editing)
Regular, weekly commitment
Adhere to volunteer compliance, policies and procedures and codes of conduct
Strong editorial judgement
Understanding of radio presentation and playout systems
Understanding of social media – to reach listeners through Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Empathy with our target audience
Excellent training and career development opportunities
Be involved in an award-winning local community station
Add real radio experience to your CV
Move your presenting to the next level
Be an integral part of a community organisation
Experience in broadcasting, radio or media is not required for this role.
There are currently no vacancies for this role