About Radio Verulam:
Radio Verulam is the local, community radio station for St Albans and surrounds, broadcasting 24 hours a day on 92.6FM and online. It is run as a, not for profit company and is predominantly volunteer-led, with around 90 current volunteers providing everything a radio station needs to be on air, including creating and broadcasting original content which covers various genres of music, speech, arts, current affairs, topical discussion, and news.
Our mission is: To enhance the daily lives of all sections of the community in our area by providing news, information and entertainment.
Our vision is: To become a widely known and listened to local radio station and internet presence, both of which are recognised within and outside the local community as a professional, engaging and useful service and to form a significant part of the fabric of life in the area, embraced by businesses and individuals.
Overview of an assistant producer: To assist in the preparation and production of creative content for 92.6FM daytime and speciality programmes.
- Responsible for making shows with entertainment and information for our community
- You will be talking to a wide range of people, so your content needs to be fun, fresh and appealing
- Programmes could be general daytime ‘magazine’-style music shows or ‘specialist’ programmes that deal with a particular area of interest – such as sport, parenting, business or the environment
- You will prepare relevant linking material which engages our local audience to insert into our scheduled music log, give local travel and weather updates for presenters in an entertaining and warm way
- Research and prepare material for shows, including arranging guests and interviews
- Come up with interesting ideas for features
- Create a running order for the programme
- Work with presenters at the time of broadcast
- Producing transcripts, programme logs and running orders
- Contributing to the creative input of a show, for example writing cues and updating scripts
- Coordinate, organise and manage your everyday tasks to maintain the smooth running of the programme.
- Create programme reads, trail programmes, audio clip interviews and share through social media - Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Ensure through the delivery of your content, Radio Verulam remains an accessible, inclusive and diverse station representative of the communities the station serves
- Meet and greet guests and explain studio procedures
- Develop new content and ways of encouraging existing and potential audiences to engage with that content. Assist in the forward planning of material for future programmes.
- Ensure all content accurately reflects the diversity of our society in line with diversity and portrayal guidelines.
- Undertake administration duties relevant to the production’s smooth running where necessary.
An outstanding natural communicator (written and verbal)
You will be highly organised with an eye for detail and seek to make ongoing improvements in your everyday work including listening back to shows and receiving feedback
Confidence, enthusiasm and the skills to work with presenters (live on air)
Knowledge of Audacity for editing (or relevant audio editing)
Regular, weekly commitment
Adhere to volunteer compliance, policies and procedures and codes of conduct
Enthusiasm for radio and appreciation of how audiences use digital media and platforms.
Good contacts and ways of finding content from different sources.
Knowledge of techniques of audio and content production and its use on multiple platforms.
Ability to develop creative ideas, which engage diverse audiences in a demanding creative environment.
Experience of writing clear and concise material which may be used for briefs, scripts, and digital platforms.
Understanding of radio presentation and playout systems
Understanding of social media – to reach listeners through Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Empathy with our target audience
Excellent training and career development opportunities
Be involved in an award-winning local community station
Add real radio experience to your CV
Move your presenting to the next level
Be an integral part of a community organisation
Experience in broadcasting, radio or media is not required for this role.
There are currently no vacancies for this role