When to start running 'Christmas' music, if at all, is debated in radio stations everywhere each year. Some people love them; others hate them.
For Radio Verulam, here's the rule this year:
- You do not have to play Christmas songs if you don't want to
- From Monday 11 December until Tuesday 26 December inclusive, day time presenters may manually insert Christmas songs with the following conditions:
- Please do not ditch or change the first or second songs at the top of the hour and after each break.
- You may replace either the 3rd or the 4th or the 5th song of each 'section'. In other words - one Christmas song at a time - less is more
- There is a section of Christmas music on Myriad; they will not be automatically programmed into the logs.
- Specialist show presenters retain the autonomy to select your music as you wish, but I'd strongly advise against an 'all Christmas music' show or hour - it'll lose listeners. However, a few within the mix is perfectly acceptable. Of course, many 'Christmas number 1s' over the last 30 or 40 years are not Christmas songs as such, so this gives you a bit more freedom.
I hope that makes sense and should keep everyone happy; if not, or if you have any questions, please do get in touch.